Feb 9, 2009

A Recent Short video from Ethiopia" by Werner Herzog

This is a short video I received through facebook. It is made by Werner Herzog as part of his trip to Ethiopia last year. The video is part of a trio project funded by SkyArts to promote opera. The whole piece seems to reflect Herzog's take on La Boheme Opera. I tried to gathered some information about the music piece through searching for "opera for dummies" but found little. Wikipedia explains that the title corresponds to exoticism, libertinism, and free-mindedness within the time frame of mid. 19 cent. France. While watching, I ask myself am I suppose to figure out the revisionism or decolonization? Talk of Herzog and travelogue format came up in last class, I thought to share this. Anyone figure something out, please let me know. I hope the local participant were paid for their "view" and "silent" performances.
here is the link: 
http://www.skyarts.co.uk/video/video-sky-arts-opera-shorts-werner-herzog/

hadi